Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. ~Hebrews 12:1

Sunday, March 16, 2014

#3 - holidays 'n' festivals


3. Holidays and festivals – I’ve learned so many new traditions and celebrated countless new holidays throughout this year. I’m also blessed to know people from different ethnicities in Malaysia – primarily Chinese, Dusun and Kadazandusun (two native groups from Sabah) – which means I’m blessed to enjoy many different experiences. What I find particularly beautiful is that everyone recognizes and respects their neighbor’s traditions. Public holidays aren’t just for things the majority observes and everyone is cognizant of what their neighbor may be celebrating. The first person to wish me a “Merry Christmas” this year was my Muslim housemate. It’s not something she celebrates, but she knew it was important to me and that’s all that matters.

You'll find these red-topped containers with special treats everywhere at the time of Chinese New Year!

Moon Cake Festival (Google it!) 
As you might gather from the examples above, food centers around pretty much every festival or celebration, here. It's pretty great.

No comments:

Post a Comment